Sunday, February 14, 2010

Huang YiDA - Jerk

Chou nanren is very specifically a male term; it means "stinky man" literally.

The music video for this song is creepy. Which you might think is the point, but actually it's wrong for the song, IMHO. The song is about the self-confident bastard who women know is bad news yet intrigues them because they want to believe that they can change him (guys, it's pretty much exactly the same thought process that causes men to chase and spend money on selfish and unattainable women... you want what you can't/shouldn't have).

The music video, on the other hand, seems to depict a stalker, and instead of being actively and irresistibly drawn to his arrogance and potency like a moth to a flame, the girl seems more like she wants to get away but doesn't have the self-confidence to say anything. I'm yelling at the screen "No! Don't let him see your contact info! NEVER GO TO A SECOND LOCATION WITH A STRANGER!"

YiDA's smile at about 2:36 suits the song perfectly, however. Me-OW.

*我就是你們女生最討厭的那種人 *I'm that kind of guy you girls despise the most
專門欺騙女人感情的臭男人the jerk who specializes in manipulating women's feelings
我就是那個家裡有了一個還嫌不夠 I'm that guy who's got one at home but still isn't satisfied
還在外頭養了一個小女人so I keep a girl on the side
  
喔 喔 喔 喔oh oh, oh oh
  
我就是你們所謂的不在乎天長地久 I'm your so-called "doesn't care about eternity" guy
只在乎曾經擁有的臭男人the jerk who only cares about notching off another conquest1
我就是那個一三五會在家 二四六哪還用說 I'm that guy who's home MWF, no need to ask what I'm doing THS2
而星期天是平靜的渡過and Sundays go by totally quietly
  
#奇怪的是這世界 #and the funny thing about this world is
男人不壞女人不愛if men aren't bad then women don't love them
要帥要體貼又要關懷 handsome and considerate and devoted
這種男人已不存在that kind of guy doesn't exist!
  
△我就是那個讓你不明白 △I'm that guy who messes you up
讓你看不開 讓你好無奈who keeps you from seeing clearly, who makes you so helpless
對了就是那個臭男孩 that's right, it's that jerk
讓你叫天 天不理睬who makes you scream "God"3, but God isn't paying attention
  
Repeat *,#,△Repeat *,#,△
  
我就是那個那個讓你不明白 I'm that guy, that guy who messes you up
讓你看不開 讓你好無奈who keeps you from seeing clearly, who makes you so helpless
對了就是那個臭男孩 that's right, it's that jerk
讓你叫天 天不理睬who makes you scream "God", but God isn't paying attention
  
就是那個讓你失去 that jerk who makes you lose things
讓你心痛 讓你淚流 who makes your heart ache, who makes your tears flow
讓你一生好痛恨的臭男人whom you'll hate dearly your whole life
我就是那個讓你無法自拔 yeah I'm that guy who gives you no way to get free
無法渴望 無法預料 no way to hope, no way to see what's coming
一生痛恨的臭男人that jerk you'll hate your whole life
  
臭男人 臭男人 臭男人jerk, jerk, jerk
我這個這個這個這個這個這個臭男人I'm a j-j-j-j-j-jerk4

1. I'm being fairly free with my translation here. Literally "only cares about 'having something' (IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. and you do.) once".
2. Monday Wednesday etc. The lyrics use abbreviations, so I do too. No need to ask because you know what he's doing. SEXING.
3. Chinese will say "tian (sky or heaven)" where English speakers say "Oh my God" or "God". This is actually tian not God.
4. This construction in Chinese, if I can use Chinglish for a moment, is pronoun/this/insult. So "wo zhege chounanren" in this instance, I/this/stinks/male/person; another example would be "ni zhege bailei" you/this/fail/category. The latter is idiomatically "You scum!" For some reason in English we can say "You scum/jerk/idiot!" but you can't say "I scum/jerk/idiot". So I would translate it as "I'm a jerk" or "a jerk like me". So the repeating "zhege zhege zhege" isn't "this this this this", it's more like singing and purposefully stuttering over the first syllable of a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment